Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Quote A Day

One of the things that impressed me when I interviewed with my boss was how long employees had worked with him, several for over 10 years.   For me that is a good sign.  I am not one to jump from job to job and this is only my third in 16 years.  The tougher part of that is joining and fitting in with a small company that’s employees are very entrenched with one another.

I wanted a way of to break the ice with my new co-workers and have them feel comfortable coming to talk to me in my office. Thus my quote board was born.  I hung a white board directly across from my desk and each day I write a new quote on it.  Some days the quotes are meaningful, other days the quotes where funny.  At times I write a quote that is especially poignant to how I am feeling that day or what I need.  It has been almost two years and I haven’t repeated a quote yet. 

My boss asked me after about 6 months if I had a book of quotes….I told him yes, it’s called the internetJ  Twitter has also been a great source of quotes.

When the Tampa Bay Rays were in the baseball playoffs last year a quote I wrote on the board was “A baseball game is simply a nervous breakdown divided into nine innings.”   During a particularly tough week I found “Don’t be afraid to ask dumb questions, they’re more easily handled than dumb mistakes.” by William Wister Haines.

The fun part has been watching the reactions and getting into discussions based on the quote of the day.  Many times the reaction is totally off base to what I thought would be.  I love that!  Now my co-workers are bringing my quotes that they find outside of work.  Today’s quote by Theodore Roosevelt was brought to me by my GM.

What is your favorite quote?

No comments:

Post a Comment