Thursday, June 23, 2011

30 Minutes

I am always on the lookout for new products for my customers.  I have a few hospital end user customers so whenever a door company says they have manufacturered an indestructible door I am all over it. 

Maiman recently came out with a thermally fused door that is supposed to hold up to tough environments.  The doors are fused to a substrate core using high heat and pressure which creates a durable door that will not delaminate or telegraph.  The key word for me was durable so I called and asked if they offered a try me door and thankfully they said yes. 

The door arrived and my customer hung the door in a soiled laundry room.  Well darned if within 30 minutes someone moving one of the large blue fiberglass carts scratched the door.  I couldn’t believe it. 

I emailed my Maiman representative the next day and told him what happened.  Apparently Maiman has a repair kit that will help with most scratches, similar to a furniture stick.  The repair kit finally came in and last night the very wonderful rep and I went out to the jobsite and gave it a try.

The door was a custom finish to match the hospital standard so none of Maiman’s standard color sticks were an exact match and a darker color stick was sent.  Next time it might be better if both a dark and light color stick were sent.  We worked on the scratch for about 30 minutes and while it certainly isn’t perfect it did look better. 

I will be honest I am not completely sold on the Maiman door.  The pro - it is reasonably priced and except for the 1 scratch the door looks good.   The con – it only took 30 minutes before it was scratched.

Here are before and after pictures of the scratch - what do you think?













3 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I'm dismayed that it was that easy to so deeply scratch the door so quickly. Seems they need to work on their finishes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A - I agree. Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I've seen this door in the marketplace, but not seen in use. My suspicions are proven in your blogpost. I don't feel that thin printed veneer is not going to hold up in a hospital or any other tough environment.

    By the way, I try to blog myself; feel free to cruise over to blog.phillips-langley.com for our musings.

    ReplyDelete