Monday, May 2, 2011

A Day Seared into Memory

If it hadn't been for Twitter I would have already been in bed at 10:30 last night.  As it was I was wrapping up the nightly duties when across the Twitter stream I saw the President of the United States would be addressing the Nation at 10:30 pm.  On a Sunday!  Oh this can't be good news was my first thought.  Libya also came to mind.  Osama bin Laden did not. 10:30 came can went and no Presidential Address.  A little anxiously I found myself refreshing Twitter every few minutes.  Then all of the sudden a tweet stated the breaking news was Osama bin Laden confirmed dead.  I didn’t believe it to be honest; it has been almost 10 years after all.  Gradually the news station tweets began releasing the same news.  Could it be?  Well before The President’s address at 11:30 pm the information had been confirmed, this very evil man was dead.   

My emotions are so very mixed.  I hope this gives all the victims and their families of the 1st World Trade Center, the Cole and of course Sept. 11 attacks closure of some sort.  I also hope it gives all the Armed Services personnel who have so bravely fought and in many cases died the boost that this mission has truly been accomplished.

Seeing people in the streets of New York City and outside the White House celebrating gave me goosebumps.  I hope this feeling of being united sticks around for a while

My mind constantly walks a tightrope between feeling we, as citizens of the world, have an obligation to ensure everyone has the opportunity to live free of tyranny and not wanting America to become the world police.

What I hope the most is that this news will bring our Troops home quicker.

No comments:

Post a Comment