Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Who Signs our Paycheck

Overheard: Why do we have to solve all the problems?

When I hear comments like the above I get very annoyed. My first thought is because it is our job!

The second, and better answer, is because we want the customer to have a great experience with us so they will spread happy comments and order again and again. Which will allow me, as an employee, to continue to have a job, salary, bonuses, food, housing, and maybe even a vacation. 

Commission was always part of my pay package, either straight up or salary +. If I wanted to make more money I needed to make the company more money. I needed to make my customers happy. Simple. 

Comments, like the one I overheard, demoralize the business atmosphere. Never forget it is our customers who sign our pay checks, no matter whose signature is at the bottom. If we don't have customers we don't have jobs. 

Sure we need to continue to strive at the front of the sale to eliminate any issues so there are fewer questions after the sale. But no matter when the questions are asked we need to answer them quickly and with a smile. 

Dimensional Research conducted a survey that found 62% of B2B and 42% of B2C purchased more after a good experience. Whereas 66% of B2B and 52% of B2C stopped making purchases after a bad experience. Bad experiences also spread like wildfire in this digital age. 

Yikes! If people are talking about my business I want it to be good stuff. Which would you prefer? 

1 comment:

  1. This: "If we don't have customers we don't have jobs."

    I wish more people would remember that, whether they're on commission, or not.

    ReplyDelete