Sunday, May 20, 2012

Women's Health

This last week was National Women's Health Week and my first thought was why is it just a week?  My friend's Alexandra and Kymberly who's life mission is to get people healthy and have fun while you are doing it, hosted a Tweet Chat about Women's Health and while I watched and learned I really didn't participate. I was encouraged to write a blog post by May 19th but my thought was I don't take care of myself at all how could I write a post about health?

Then I started thinking about the recent weeks where, a dear friend and some family and friends of friends, have had serious health issues.   A 38 year old woman died of heart failure leaving behind an 11 year old son.  Another woman had a shunt inserted after suffering a heart attack at 37 years of age.  What the heck?

Last summer I had my own health scare and after 1 night in the hospital I thought never again.  I even took a picture of the bed and 1 slice of dry toast I was able to have for breakfast to remind me of this horrible experience.  I came home - and did nothing.  Why?

I really have been thinking about my health since the Tweet Chat and wondering why I don't take the time or energy to be healthy myself.  I don't drink soda or eat a lot of sweets but I also don't eat dinner or what one could call dinner (hello popcorn). I don't take the time to cook.  I hate exercise.  My BFF loves to exercise - I mean loves it.  I hate it.  I get bored.  Recently I was reintroduced to Ping Pong after not having played for 30 years.  I love it!  I wish I lived closer to my friend, who has the table and challenges me greatly on each shot, so we could play more often. Ok that is exercise and I like that.

I reached out to Alexandra this week because I tend to overwhelm myself with how much I need to do to get healthy.  She responded with small steps.  Small steps cover the same ground as a full outright run. Stand when I am on the phone at work instead of sitting.  That was the change this week - that is it.  I could do that. Oh and she suggested I be kind to myself too. Gulp - really? Why is that so hard?

Women tend to take care of everyone else first and put themselves last.  I tell my BFF all the time that she needs to take care of herself first so she then can take care of her family.  Hmm do as I say and not as I do comes to mind.  The last few years has brought stresses to my generation that we have not dealt with before.  These stresses weigh on us every second of every day and if we don't take care of ourselves then yes major medical issues will happen.  Women under 40 have heart attacks.

Besides eating healthy and exercise joy needs to be more prevalent in our lives. Simple joys that don't cost anything but time.  Last Monday, for many reasons, every fiber of my being said leave work and drive 2 1/2 hours to see my BFF.  For two hours I fought it but finally at 9:30 am I left the office and had lunch with my BFF.  I have never done anything like that in my life.  We had a wonderful afternoon and chatted about life.  At one point she looked at me and said remember that Winnie the Pooh quote "If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you"  well get with it!! Crap be kind to myself again.  That afternoon allowed me to face the rest of the week with a much better attitude.  I think it did the same for her.  It was a simple joy and we need to do it more often.  Hmm little steps.

This morning, for the first time in a long time, I got up and exercised.  Nothing all out heavy duty just got on my stepper for 13 minutes and then some yoga.  I watched commencement addresses on YouTube to get the day started off on a positive note.  And then I sat down and wrote this blog post.  I don't know where this will go but for today, these small steps, are enough.






11 comments:

  1. Dear Ginny, you just made me cry because all of my years of teaching and studying were just rewarded. To see yourself as so valuable that you'd get up and do your exercises this morning is the best reward I could ever have. It truly is small steps that will get you where you're going. And you are so smart to figure out that meaningful rewards such as visiting your friend are the key to feeling successful. And when you feel successful you repeat the things that made you feel that way - so I predict you'll exercise more in the future, as you notice how it makes you feel. You have got to read the book "Working Out Sucks." You will love it and it has specific practical advice that will inspire and assist you. I am so lucky to be your friend - truly. Thank you for making me feel like I make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep up the excellent work and spreading the word of health and fitness!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alexandra is awesome...but you are too!! I know you can be that person in yourself that you see. Exercise shouldn't be a burden. Just because everyone around you runs, doesn't mean you have to be a runner. Try different things and see what works for YOU. The most important thing is to move. Believe in yourself, because I believe in you. xo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I understand where you are coming from. I think everyone has felt this way at one point or another. I think you are brave and strong to put it out here for all of us to read and encourage you to make this step towards the rest of your long life. you are now a hero to me, keep it up amd I, we will be there for you every step of the way

    ReplyDelete
  5. small steps all add up, just like each rain drop adds to the lake! You did the best thing...you got started! Way to go :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can definitely do this! Keep putting one foot in front of the other and you will reach your goals!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what amazing support! Tenecia, Tara, Larisa, Heidi, and Michael thank you all for taking the time to comment such positive and kind words.
    Alexandra - you make a difference to many each and every day because you care. I have to laugh at the title of the book only because I think it is so true! I will check it out :) Thank you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You go girl! Taking baby steps is such a smart way to approach any lifestyle change. It didn't take a day to get into a situation, and it sure as heck isn't going to take a day to get out. ;-) You are doing AWESOME! Keep up the good work! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. We have had way too many scares lately. It definitely reminds us that life is too short. I enjoyed last Monday and am missing it VERRA MUCH today!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jessica - thanks for the positive words and you are right even if I want change to happen overnight - ain't gonna happen ;)

    Amanda - I am missing it today too. We still have Dark Shadows to see!

    ReplyDelete
  11. A positive, can-do attitude and loving communication make good things happen between people

    ReplyDelete