Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Let's Blog Off I've Got the Music in Me!



Every two weeks Bloggers unite for a day to write about a communal topic. This week LetsBlogOff asks the question what song gets stuck in your head? 


For me it seems every song is stuck in my head.  I can’t remember a time when I didn’t listen to music. I still have my parent’s album Herb Albert’s Tijuana Brass Whipped Cream and Other Delights. 

Thankfully I have a brother 8 years older than me so I grew up listening to great music.  Motown was just getting started; The Rolling Stones, The Beatles and The Who were all the rage!  There is an embarrassing video of me (that has since been converted to DVD thanks to my brother) that has me doing the pony to Mony Mony the 1968 single by Tommy James & the Shondells, I was around 7 years of age.  No you will never see it.


I was a dedicated viewer of The Monkees   R.I.P. Davy Jones my first crush. 




I sang (badly) and danced around the house all the time.  I was a huge fan of The Jackson 5 and only mildly into The Osmond’s.   Soul Train, American Bandstand and MTV were other huge parts of my life growing up.  Thinking back I must have driven my mother nuts.

I graduated from high school in 1980 and it was a fight between Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeppelin


and Disco

Good sense won over and my class song was Stairway to Heaven!  But I did learn how to Hustle!

Nice to know a new generation is also learning it!

Thankfully I was introduced to show tunes and musicals by two roommates.  We played darts to


The Music Man

 Jesus Christ Superstar

My music tastes now range from all the above to gospel like Blind Boys of Alabama

Lady Gaga

Joss Stone

I even like some hip hop and rap.  Just some though. 

Going back to the original question of LetsBlogOff what song can get stuck in my head? It’s a Small World is the worst for me!   I am not including a link because you don’t need to hear it ;)

Please follow the links to my fellow participants posts on what songs are stuck in their head!



8 comments:

  1. Drats, you just had to mention that song... Now I will be walking around the confrence trying to get that out of my head. :)
    nice post Ginny

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginny,
    I'm ruined for the day. I knew I shouldn't have clicked the song links. Now I've added your stuck songs to my stuck songs. There goes my productivity for the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Janet Lee SchultheisFebruary 28, 2012 at 8:31 AM

    Lovely Tuesday morning reminiscing! Great post Ginny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mony, Mony!!!!!!!!! Yeah! Even when you read the lyrics online, it doesn't make a hell of a lot of sense. But I have to admit I've always liked the beat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy - Thanks so much!
    Eric - Thanks, happy to help ;)
    Janet - Get busy grooving!
    Joe - Great dance music!
    Thanks all for commenting!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great stuff! Julie and I have been watching the Monkeys tv show on the weekend. The girls freak out when we tell them that the Monkeys were the Jonas Brothers of our generation.

    They don't get it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What memories these have brought back - thank you!

    ReplyDelete