Tuesday, January 10, 2012

A Few of My Favorite Things

I don't know if it is the end of 2011 and beginning of 2012 or just a spurt but I have been doing a lot of de-cluttering.  Going through my drawers, cabinets and closets to make a conscience choice to keep or not an item.

There are a few items that I will never get rid of because of their sentimental value to me.  I thought I would share them with you . If you have some of those same cherished items in your house please share in the comment section below.

Great Aunt Nola

My mom's mother had two sister who I never knew well but loved their names:  Mazie and Nola.  In their later years they lived together and I would chat with them from time to time.  I don't know how it came about but at some point Aunt Nola offered to make me an afghan if I would pay for the materials.  I sent a check and several months later I received a beautiful afghan in the mail.  I don't have a lot of items that have been handed down generation after generation but I cherish this afghan and every winter it goes on the foot of my bed.


Merilyn and Marcia
 My mother-in-law was an amazing woman and I was so blessed to have had her in my life. She was a knitter and decided to make each of her daughter-in-law's a beautiful throw.  She finished my sister-in-law's and had started mine when she was diagnosed with lung cancer.  She worked on it on and off over the next year but died before she could finish it.  I didn't know much of this until the Christmas after she had died.  It was naturally a tough Christmas but when I opened that box and heard the story that her sister took the throw and completed it I just cried.  Anytime I am sick or sad I wrap this throw around me and feel both their hearts and arms around me.


This crazy item is a candle holder.  My mom would make them for the church bazaar. She would save the tops of spray cans, baking soda cans & jars and turn them into candle holders.  I love it because she made it.

What is in your home?

4 comments:

  1. Ahh...I have a patchwork quilt that has long since begun to look more tattered than it should. The scraps of old dresses that make up the patched side are thin and slice open easily, but I know, deep in my heart the amount of hours that it must have taken my grandmother to make it. It sits in the art room...not to be used unless an emergency (or a really cold night). The other item from my Grandma would be her King James Bible. I had never really pondered it much before, but upon seeing a friend's tattoo w/ just a scripture, I opened hers to look it up (too lazy to go upstairs). In that very page, I found hand written notes along the margin and a little shred of paper that said "For the blues...". I wept. It was a very special moment and I just knew she was watching over it.

    There are tons of others that melt my heart instantly, but those are the first two that came to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Amy I have chills reading about your beautiful favorites. It is amazing how our loved ones continue to watch over us. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom was an author and an artist. I have many things that she has made but my favorites are the book of anthologies that she has a short story published in that is dedicated to me and 2 autumn paintings done on pieces of slate. The slate paintings I bring out every autumn but they are fragile and I'm so afraid they will break. But I can't imagine my mantel without them in the fall.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your mom was an incredibly talented & imaginative woman Amanda!

    ReplyDelete