Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Thanksgiving


Every two weeks Bloggers unite for a day to write about a communal topic. This week LetsBlogOff asks the question so what’s a good Thanksgiving food memory for you? 


Honestly - and this goes against tradition I know - the best food Thanksgiving I ever had was the first year I moved back to Florida.  I lived in an apartment complex and had made a couple of friends through walking my dog.  Dog owners know - when you know the dogs name but not the humans :)  Anyway most people left for Thanksgiving but another woman also had no plans to visit family so we decided to get together. 

We met early Thanksgiving afternoon and took our two respective dogs to the dog beach where the pooches had the run of the beach.  After a few hours we packed up and drove back to the apartment complex and started our Thanksgiving dinner.  We threw some zucchini, yellow squash, red peppers on the grill to get them toasty.  Then we placed our main dish - swordfish steaks - on the grill.  Everything was perfect and tasty.  Our only concession to tradition was a pumpkin pie which we were eating by the pool as the sun set.  

For a Thanksgiving that I had thought was going to be pretty pitiful after deciding not to visit my family, it turned out to be a beautiful day.  

I hope your Thanksgiving is filled with the joy of being on this beautiful earth.

Knowing our group of bloggers you will find great recipes and more Thanksgiving food by reading their LetsBlogOff posts: 



5 comments:

  1. So Ginny has that become the new tradition? Sounds like a good one to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That’s a wonderful story. I think my wife and I are getting a lot nearer that sort of thing. My parents are long gone, and this year we lost her mother. Her dad is still here, but the family has decided that we will go to Las Vegas this year (one of my mother-in-law’s favorite places) rather than go into a lonely kitchen to cook. Eventually her father will be gone, and we will be building our own traditions. But the main part of Thanksgiving, as you pointed out, is just having someone to share it with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginny! Love it!! Its not the food but the company that makes the day! Have a wonderful thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Despite my love of traditional foods for Thanksgiving dinner, it's more about the company and a grateful perspective than anything you eat. Making sense out of a holiday I always equated with a cold day when I live in a place where Thanksgivings tend to be sunny and involve trips to the beach has been curious to say the least and it took me a while to adapt. My reaction to it is to embrace holiday traditions with a ferocity I barely recognize. But at the same time, I can appreciate how other people approach them. Florida's a weird place, but it's endlessly fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a great meal. Hope you are having a happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete